Sunday, March 3, 2019

Mardi Gras in New Orleans 2019

Mardi Gras 2019 in New Orleans was another eventful and memorable trip to the Big Easy. I went with Kevin, Derek, Jessica and Nancy. We all rode together from Perdido Key. Derek, Jessica and Nancy drove down Thursday night (02/28/19), stayed at Sailmaker and then we all rode together to New Orleans. Of course, we had to stop by the new Buccee's on I-10 with it's 150 gas pumps but we still got into New Orleans in time for lunch on Bourbon Street. We did not pick the cleanest of places on Bourbon Street to eat, but it did have excellent red beans and rice and jambalaya... and beer.


Our hotel for this trip was the Westin, part of the Shoppes on Canal. It was my first time staying here although I had been to its lobby on the 11th floor many times. It has an amazing view of the river and the French Quarter. The lobby is open to the public so stop by for a peak on your next trip. Our room was even better. It was a large suite facing the river. There was plenty of room for all of us. I think I may like this better than the large suite I usually get at 555 Canal. 

What all did we do that first night? Lots of walking. Lots of bars. Rode the streetcar from Canal to Esplanade and then walked to Troy and Jerry's condo at the end of Bourbon Street. We ordered pizza and ate at their condo and then Troy and Jerry joined us all in a taxi to Canal Street to catch the night parade. We watched from the corner of Canal and S. Peters Street, the intersection in front of Harrah's. 







What did we do Saturday? More of the same. I woke up early and walked the French Quarter. It was pretty foggy so that made my walk pretty eerie and cool at the same time. We did not make it for breakfast at Troy and Jerry's like we had planned the night before. We watched the day parades on Canal Street with me staking out my spot on a rental bike. After Maureen's float passed, Kevin, Nancy and I moved to the J.W. Marriott's balcony. It is a little high for most of the parade throwers, but a few made the effort and actually threw their beads far enough for us to catch them. Derek and Jessica joined us before the last afternoon parade was over. The balcony on Canal Street is well worth the drink minimum. It gets you out of the crowd, with a chair, a bar and a bathroom.




This picture is of us grocery shopping for dinner at Troy and Jerry's condo. It was a great dinner. Nancy did most, if not all, of the cooking. It was delicious! Thanks Nancy. Having dinner at a house on Bourbon Street beats eating out at an expensive restaurant any time. Thanks Jerry! Thanks Troy!


At some point, Derek took us all to a fancy restaurant where Travis and Stephanie were having dinner with friends. We were not dressed the part and had been drinking all day. I think this was Saturday. Anyway, it ended with the waiter being rude to us (after I poured my Miller Lite into a glass on the table we sat at) and our group walking out. Hugely embarrassing; but hey, it was Mardi Gras and I shouldn't have been there anyway by that point. Oh well.

We hit Harrah's Friday and Saturday. I did poorly both days. I don't think anyone else did any better. Cashing out on Saturday (maybe Sunday), there was a big confrontation with security and a drunk lady about who knows what. The security guard, however, was told repeatedly by the drunk lady that the security guard worked for the drunk lady's mother. It was very touching.

On a happier note, we did stop in Biloxi at the Beau Rivage and I did make a little money back on roulette. Woohoo! Not enough though. It is never enough.

I should have had more photos, but I have a habit of letting my phone die when in New Orleans.






No comments:

Post a Comment